Friday, February 5, 2010

Henry James: A life in Letters Philip Horne (ed)

We were reading Henry James in our Literature into Film bookclub at the Library, and as complimentary reading I got this out of the library. What a delightful find, especially with footnotes! I liked the fact that this is a 'real and best biography'. I hunted for the people he corresponded with that I knew and liked (RLStevenson, Edith Wharton, HGWells) before heading to read about people he knew and discussed (e.g. Hopper). Horne is also a wonderful biographer of James, and has a series of books on him.
This was also 'appropriate' reading selection because Henry James was of scottish and irish ancestry, and last week was the Burns Supper all around the world, in recognition of Robert Burns, Scotland's national poet. So I was of course reading Burn's poetry, reciting some as well. Haggis was even made for the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment