Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Emily Arsenault The Broken Teaglass 2009

Has anyone else out there read The Broken Teaglass by Emily Arsenault? I recently started this and have been laughing ever since. I don't suspect it was meant to be this funny, but it is great fun in so many ways. Again, the jacket cover brought me in: her debut novel of a venerable dictionary publisher, ...teasing literary puzzle, suspense novel, New England flavour, and "an exploration of definitions: of words, of who we are, and of the stories we choose to define us." I was also intrigued by the author blurb that states she was also a lexicographer, english teacher, children's librarian and a Peace Corp volunteer. She wrote this to pass long quiet evenings in her mud brick house in rural South Africa.
100 pages into it, I am intrigued by the story, but find the characters are definitely just out of college. I hate feeling like an old fogey, but we are doing our children/adults no favours if they can't boil water and balance a checkbook, to say nothing of socially interact! More later, when I finish and figure it all out!

No comments:

Post a Comment