Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mary Doria Russell The Sparrow, Children of God

I read these books in 2009, the first not knowing there was a sequel. It was SUCH a powerful experience, both the first novel, and then having further possibilities. Last night, several friends had another discussion about the books, the author, her additional books, and what she is currently writing. I still think these were among the best books I read in 2009. (they were published in 1995 and 1998 I think). Not for the faint of heart. Science fiction or speculative fiction (because so much of this is American History, thinly disguised).
The RPL has all of her novels, and they are snatched up from the Friends bookstore whenever they are donated. Do not read the second novel first, but buy it and wait!

3 comments:

  1. It was way too disturbing for me. Like having a nightmare after watching too many Star Trek reruns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as advertised, not for the faint of heart, but taken together one of the most magnificent (and uplifting ) pieces of fiction I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with CS - and these are books that should be discussed in bookgroups, in small intimate groups, over lunch, coffee, jogging. They are full of philosophy, history, questions and our answers may change with time/age. There are several novels I read at decadal intervals, these will be added to that list.

    ReplyDelete