Sunday, December 11, 2011

Book Review - Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things

Book Review
Alvin Ho:  Allergic to Girls, School, 
and Other Scary Things
Lenore Look

I absolutely love the holidays.  I love the giving of gifts, and my favorite gift to give is a really good book.  I love the idea of choosing exactly the “right” story to appeal to the recipient’s personality, and I love the idea of that person paging through the book and identifying with the characters.  So, for me, choosing a book as a gift is a fairly detailed process and sometimes requires hours of my time to select just the right one.

This year, the difficult reader on my list is my 7 year old nephew.  I wanted to find a book that he could read quietly to himself (he’s reading at a 3rd grade level in 1st grade!), but one that would also be fun for his folks to read with him if they wanted some quality family time.  I think I hit the jackpot with Alvin Ho:  Allergic to Girls, School and Other Scary Things.

I chose this book strictly based upon the title.  What could be more fun than a 1st grade boy who’s allergic to girls and school?  There must be a story in there and, with any luck, it would be a story that would give the reader a chuckle.  If my own 7 year old’s belly laughs are any indication, this book will definitely appeal to my nephew and likely any other 1st through 3rd grade boy on your holiday list.

Alvin Ho is simply adorable!  He’s an Asian-American child who is quite literally afraid of everything.  When he goes to school, he becomes so terrified of the teacher and other students that he simply can’t speak.  Kids will love the lists he makes regarding how to make friends, and the trouble he gets into as he turns to his older brother, Calvin, for advice.

Parents, on the other hand, will love the moral lessons he’s taught as each of his schemes to overcome his fears blows up on him.  There are important lessons on “How to be a gentleman,” the importance of avoiding peer pressure, and even understanding the difference between “borrowing” and “stealing.”   

Without a doubt, Alvin Ho is priceless and is sure to bring more than a few giggles to young readers and their parents.

This title is the first in a series of Alvin Ho books available in digital and traditional format through the library.

For more information on this book or the author, visit the Random House website dedicated to this author and her books by following this link.


~ Catherine H. Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment