Sunday, October 9, 2011

Book Review - The Paris Wife

Book Review


The Paris Wife
Paula McLain


One of my favorite things about being an avid reader is not being afraid to pick up a book I know nothing at all about and give it a try.  I read so many books that I don't have to be choosy about what I read; if I don' t like it, then there's always the next book or the next book after that.  With those thoughts in mind, I reserved a copy of The Paris Wife from the Rochester Public Library without knowing anything about it.  Its only recommendation came from the fact that there was a long queue of people waiting to read it and, therefore, there must be something redeeming about the story.

And so I began the story of Ernest Hemingway and his first wife of five years, Hadley; a book I would never have read had I first read the synopsis on the back cover.  I must admit, however, that I'd have missed a good read if I'd bypassed this book on the prejudice of not being interested in the topic.

Paula McLain paints a vivid picture of the 1920s, Paris, Hemingway and their circle of literary friends who live each day by their own rules and moral standards.  In the midst of these people is his wife, Hadley; clearly the most normal and least "entitled" of any in their social set.  Her entire focus and goal in life is to be the loving wife and supportive partner to her narcissistic, self-absorbed husband.  "Are you on my side or not?" Hemingway repeatedly asks of Hadley, when what he really means is that to hold any other opinion than his is to be on the "other" side.  As a devoted and supportive wife, Hadley is always on her husband's side, regardless of her own personal convictions.

Throughout this book, I vacillated between being completely irritated with Hadley and her constant need for her husband's approval, and complete understanding of the position she had chosen.  In a time when the women's movement was at its peak, she had deliberately cast herself in the more traditional role of submissive wife to her husband.  Once there, it became nearly impossible for her to stand up for herself and her own interests until righteous indignation finally forces her hand.

While I originally had no interest in Hemingway or his works, I'm now forced to admit that I'd like to know a bit more about the man and his writing, and will soon find myself testing out one or two of his published works.

The Paris Wife is a book worth reading; and one that would appeal to those who follow Hemingway, or who enjoy biographical fiction.

To learn more about The Paris Wife or the author, visit the Random House website dedicated to this book.  It's filled with additional information and photographs of the Hemingway family, as well as many of the landmarks central to the story of The Paris Wife.  Also note that, as part the library's Visiting Author Series, Paula McLain will be a guest of the Rochester Public Library on January 8, 2012 at 2:00 p.m.  Mark your calendars now and stay tuned for more information on this event in the coming months!


~ Catherine H. Armstrong

           

No comments:

Post a Comment